Sunday, January 14, 2007

Tis a sad day


Wow, I can't believe my Chunky Butt's been gone so long :(

I'm sure most of you know how much I adore my furry babies so you know how hard it is to write this entry. I lost my dearest Chunky Butt this week. One minute she's the grinning ornery furbaby and the next she was gone. Sounds melodramic? I don't care. To me my furbabies are my babies. They're there when I laugh, cry, play, and sleep. So much the part of everyday life that sometimes they're taken for granted by too many of us.

I adopted Daisy from the local Humane Society about a year and a half ago. When she came to the shelter, she was so pregnant she couldn't walk. After giving birth to a passle of puppies that would make any mommy human or fur covered proud she did her duty raising them like the loving soul she was. When her puppies were adopted out, it almost broke her heart and to the day she died she was constantly mothering any animal that would let her.

When I finally found my sweet chunky butt, she'd been adopted out to 3 families, and all 3 had brought her back for various reasons. One family had a young child and Daisy being the ever curious beagle she was, staying put in a yard when there were woods just right there was too much of a temptation. So of course, they brought her back because they were afraid the kid would get lost wandering after her. The other families thought she was too high maintenance to have as a part of their families because they didn't realise that this special baby had a sweet tooth and couldn't resist digging through the trash for candy wrappers. ;)

When she came to live with me, the first thing she did was dig through the trash. It didn't take me long until I figured out why she would do it. The silly girl had formed an addiction to honey buns, candy bars, and anything else that had gooey sugar inside it. Gin's answer to the problem? Let's shower the heifer with tons of love and give her a cookie every now and then to curb that sweet tooth ;) It worked and Daisy spent her time with me almost the model dog.


Anyone who says that a dog isn't smart has never met a dog like her. She was spoiled rotten and loving to the core. Have you ever met a dog that can be spiteful and devious if her feelings were hurt? Just like a person, if I hurt her feelings she'd pout, and do little things to get back at me. It seems now that I cussed her ornery chunky butt as much as I loved her but even those cussings came from love, albeit frustrated love, but love none the less.


Why did I call her Chunky Butt? Well she was a heifer of a dog and as soon as her babies were weaned she was fixed. That teamed with her sweet tooth and her lazy nature (if she wasn't tracking something) made her a doe eyed rolly polly of fur and fat rolls. One of those dogs you couldn't help but smile when you saw them.


Anyway, this is my way of dealing with losing her. Yes, it's long winded but unless you've bonded with a pet like I bond with mine you have no idea the pain and just unending sorrow I have at this moment. My other fur baby, Minnie, is at a loss without her mother figure and I'm at a loss without my Chunky Butt. Our little family has lost a member that can never be replaced.


So Daisy wherever you are babygirl, Momma loves you still. You'll always be the snaggle tooth pain in my butt that made me smile every time I saw your big brown eyes and those long hazardous ears that flopped so much when you ran you'd trip over them. I miss you and right now all I want to do is curl up on the sofa with you snuggled in my arms. The day you sighed and guilt tripped me into taking you home from the shelter will always be one of the best days of my life despite the horrible ending to our time together.


PS: To those of you reading this, I'm asking this as nicely as I can, please don't ask me about this if we're talking on the phone. If you'd like to send your condolences feel free to either post in the comment section of this post, or drop me an email. It's still just to raw to talk about. -- Gin

No comments: